(1) J.Lowery Bag from Hive. This is the bag every woman needs. When I first got mine, I wasn’t sure how often I’d use it, but now I carry it daily. The gold chain can be removed or tucked into the bag for a handbag look, or worn cross body for a night out. It’s stunning and unique. They carry a few different colorways and sizes, but my favorite is the Max Mini Bucket bag.
(2) A gift card or sweet treat from Bobby Boy Bakeshop. Bobby Boy is my favorite place to buy fresh bread, and my son and I go through 2-3 loaves of their bread per week! They also make the best cappuccino in town. Grab a box of treats or a loaf of bread for holiday parties as a thank you to any hosts!
(3) Professional trash can cleaning by Simply Clean Cans. I’ve been hoping a service like this would come to Winston Salem for YEARS. Dean, the owner, comes to your house quarterly and pressure washes your nasty trash bins. (You won’t meet a nicer guy.) This is an ideal gift for parents, dog owners or anyone who hates filthy bins!
(4) Mignonne Gavigan Earrings from Rebecca & Co. I have a pair and they’re my favorite earrings for dressy occasions. They’re STUNNING in person. This is a perfect gift for someone who loves dressing up for dinner and seems to always have a cocktail party on her calendar.
(5) A candle from Fiddle & Fig Market. These soy wax, clean burning candles smell delightful – I’m partial to the Fresh Brew scent. This is a great gift for neighbors or teachers. All of their holiday decor is beautiful and affordable if you want to pair it with a little ornament.
(6) Miri’s Sweets & Bakery – she is known for her tres leches cakes for special events (her decorating skills are unmatched) and she also will make cookies for you to gift to neighbors. She has worked SO hard to start her own business and I so admire her commitment to her craft.
(7) Plan a trip or give the gift of a future trip with @thelexlist. You’ll love Alexis as much as you love your trip! This makes a great last minute gift as a gift card so you and your loved ones can go through the planning process together (but with all the stress and research taken care of by Alexis!). Use this form to reach out to her or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(8) Facial from Glo Skincare Studio. Perfect for a stressed mom or a grandmother who deserves pampering. Warning: once they have a facial from Glo Skincare Studio, all other facials will be ruined. Their facials are simply the best! (Tip: Treat yourself DURING the holiday season – before 12/24 – and you’ll get 10% off a signature facial when you tell your esthetician that TeriLyn sent you!)
(9) A gift card from BodyMind Studio – the Pilates classes require 4 private sessions before you can do group classes, but anyone can take a megaformer class so a gift card is a great way to help someone get started with either class type.
(10) For new or expecting moms, give the gift of a doula. Margo Shelton, who owns Born with Margo, is incredibly kind and so knowledgeable. She can help during the pregnancy stage, postpartum for an extra set of hands, and for overnight help so mom and dad can get a little rest.
TeriLyn Adams, a native of Salt Lake City, UT moved to Winston-Salem in 2008. She runs her own media company full-time, where she blogs at A Foodie Stays Fit and runs two Instagram accounts @terilynadams and @therookierunner. She is also a co-founder of How She Grew, an organization designed to help female entrepreneurs increase their revenue online. She is the founder of Best of Winston and ran it before transitioning it to the current team a few years ago. She started Best of Winston after a brief stint living in Charlotte and discovered a new appreciation for Winston-Salem after moving back and wanted to highlight why it’s truly the best city in NC.
Prior to running her own business, she worked in financial services for 15 years, first as an analyst at Goldman Sachs, then at BB&T and Wells Fargo, managing national social media campaigns and video production. She lives in Buena Vista with her husband, Tommy, and two year old son, Thomas.