If you’re on a budget – or just looking to try some new things around town that don’t dip into your bank account – get excited. There are tons of things to do in Winston-Salem that are free and FUN! It can be a bit of a game, too, to keep adding to this list as you discover even more our town has to offer that doesn’t cost a cent. Your friends will be impressed with your savvy suggestions!
Here are some of our favorite free activities in the Dash.
Get Out in Nature
When the weather is nice, enjoy some respite in nature. Feel refreshed for free with one of these suggestions!
- Walk (or run) around Salem Lake
- Explore Quarry Park
- Hike Pilot Mountain or Hanging Rock
- Stroll through Reynolda Gardens
- Take a walk on the Muddy Creek Greenway or Long Branch Trail
Explore Historic Sites
Learn more about Winston-Salem without paying for it! With so much history in and around the area, we encourage you to do some exploring with these free activities.
- Old Salem: you can feel transported back in time just by wandering the streets, or select a free Salem Pathway & follow a character on a journey that will guide you through Old Salem
- Bethabara Park: walk among the remains of this Moravian settlement, play in the creek, or attend a free special event
- Bethania: as the first Moravian town in NC, Bethania is full of charm; download this free walking tour map and spend the afternoon exploring
- Lam Museum of Anthropology: admission is free to this museum located on WFU’s campus
Go on a Cultural Excursion
As the “City of Arts & Innovation,” Winston prides itself on its love of the arts. Here are some free excursions to try!
- Visit SECCA – admission to the museum is always free
- Walk around ARTivity Park
- Hit the First Friday Gallery Walk on Trade Street happening every month
- Take a self-guided tour of the public murals and art installations downtown (reference this map, too)
Don’t-Miss Free Seasonal Offerings
While not offered year-round, these seasonal activities still deserve a spot on this list. Fun, free, outside – what’s not to love?
- Summer Music Series in downtown – both Summer on Liberty and Jazz at Corpening Plaza are always free
- Summer Music in the Park Series is put on by the Arts Council at various park locations and always free
- Innovation & Cinema is a free outdoor movie series in Bailey Park in the warmer months
More Free Things To Do
- Go for a picnic! Check out our tips for picnicking here
- Get a library card at a Forsyth Public Library & check out books
- Try one of these free workouts
- Enjoy window-shopping in Reynolda Village